There’s been some back and forth in the comments section of Medicare’s Overhead about what doctors think of the healthcare reforms bills now before congress. It started when I said that I didn’t think many practicing physicians favored any of these proposals. A new poll commissioned by Investors Business Daily says that two thirds of doctors oppose this legislation and that 45% would consider quitting if it passed.
It’s not hard to find a poll that supports your preconceived notion of anything important, but I still think it unlikely that most doctors would support the kind of “reform” that may be forced on them and their patients. An interesting finding is that More than seven in 10 doctors, or 71% — the most lopsided response in the poll — answered “no” when asked if they believed “the government can cover 47 million more people and that it will cost less money and the quality of care will be better.” The other 29% must have flunked math – a subject that has always bedeviled physicians.